Next up is to fit and install the overhead console. Then there is a huge list of tasks that I want to get done before I do the final install. These final steps include riveting the last two skins on and I think I want to take advantage of the access to install wiring, brackets, nut plates, firewall stuff, you get the idea.
One thing you will probably notice is that I moved the airplane into the main part of the garage. I just didn't have room in the small bay to work on the cabin top. I may take down the temporary wall at this time but I'm not sure that now is the right time. I don't like leaving any of our cars in the driveway more than necessary, especially during the hot summer months.
|First, or second, or third attempt at getting it to fit. There was a LOT of cutting and sanding to get it to this stage. You may notice that at this time the top didn't quite sit down against the fuselage.
|Ok, it fits, now its time to cleco the rear skin on so it can be drilled. This took at least three more on/off cycles to get the fit just right.
|All edges drilled for riveting.
|Look at all the dust and debris in there! Just a small sample, believe me!
|Countersunk screw holes for bolting the forward half of the cabin top to the airframe.
|"When it starts to looks like an airplane you are half way done"...well its starting to look like an airplane. :-)