Wow has it really been since October that I last posted an update? Well I haven't been completely idle these past several weeks but I will admit to going through one of those "less inspired" periods that I go through about once a year. Hopefully this one is about over...
Anyway, as the title suggests there has been progress but its in the form of a bunch of little things. Most of the time has been focused on the cowling and getting it properly fitted. Here are a few of the things I've done since the last update:
- I beefed up the "flanges" that I created for both the upper cowl to lower cowl seam and the lower scoop seam. Originally I used about 4-5 layers of regular 9oz fiberglass layers but the end result was less sturdy than I wanted. I ended up laying down a layer of carbon fiber with a layer of 9oz glass over the top. That took a bunch of time because I also had to re-drill the holes for the receptacles.
- I primed the two lower cowl halves so that I could rivet the receptacles on.
- I adjusted several fastener hole locations to get them to fit better.
- I installed the prop and spinner to test the gap and it was good for most of the circumference, but one of the bottom halves still needs work.
- I fabricated a bracket and installed the four remaining fastener receptacles on the firewall at the bottom where the lower cowling and the scoop seam meets the firewall. I had purposely held off on that area until the scoop was close enough to completion that I could be assured that the lines would match.
- Cut the oil door opening and fit the oil door to that opening. Hinge is drilled but still need to work on the latch.
|Baffling installed after priming.
|Ignition coils installed.
|Oil door opening cut.
|Seam flanges beefed up with a layer of carbon fiber and another layer of 9oz glass.
|Here you can see where the receptacle holes were covered and had to be re-drilled.
|Prop and spinner installed and cowling partially attached for fitting. Good on the top and the left side but the lower right side needs some work.
|Those two fasteners at the top of the photo that straddle the seam were installed after everything was fitted properly.
|And finally, the cowl completely installed. I still have several things to do such as the cowl flaps installation but its getting much closer to being done.