Saturday, May 1, 2021

The last garage update...

Well as the title states this will be my last update from the garage.  I have scheduled the move to the airport for Saturday the 1st of May.  That's just over a week away!  Ben has a trailer all ready to go, Jeff and Harry are going to be here to help, and Bob (silver Super 8) is a possibility if he doesn't have to fly.  Its going to be a great day.

Looking at the date of my last post I guess I have lots to catch up on.  Not all are related to N88DA (the tail number of this RV-10 I'm building).  So lets start with the most impactful news...I've decided its time to retire from Senior Living.  I should probably call it semi-retire because I don't think Amy could stand me wandering around the house looking for something to do.  Not 100% sure what I will do next but I do know it will be something I really enjoy.

I also have to add that Harry, Jeff, and I took a last minute trip to Florida for the annual Sun-N-Fun fly in.  It was a whirlwind trip but we got to see a couple of F-22 demo flights, the Blue Angels with their new F18's, and of course a ton of other aircraft.  Vendors were a bit light but better than I expected and RV-10's were scarce.  There was however lots of beer available which went well with the high temps down there.  :-)

So, on with the RV-10 stuff.  In the past month I've knocked out a bunch of smaller tasks and the list is actually getting shorter.   For a while it felt like I added two items to the list for every one I removed.  some of the items that I managed to complete include wiring up the overhead console with lights, switches, and dimmer's to control the cabin heat; installed the SCAT hoses for the heating/ventilation systems; finished the filtered air box; installed most of the baffle seal rubber; installed the temporary N number on the empennage; finished hooking up the SDS controller; finished and tested the pitot/static system; installed all fuses and tested as appropriate; painted the interior of the snorkel with epoxy primer; installed the lower cowling heat shield material; adjusted my backup alternator voltage regulator to about .2 volts lower than primary; installed the lighting controller and wired it up to allow me to adjust the brightness of the switch lights, and I'm sure there was more but that's already quite a list!

Looking outboard from the spinner opening at the inlets to see how much of a gap I have to fill.

This is the #2 cylinder with the slight proud injector assembly.  I think there is just barely enough room in there with the rubber baffle material.

This is the beginning of the wing root control rod air gap seal.  The paper is the pattern for cutting the black rip stop material.  I used Amy's sewing machine to sew the material into a cone shape, then I put the backing ring around it.  This assembly then gets glued/riveted to the fuselage side as you see in the picture below.

Air gap seal is cleco'd on after I glued the ring to the rip stop cone.  Next up is to pop rivet the ring to the fuselage and then seal the small end around the control rod with enough play that it can move back and forth without binding the controls at all.

Overhead panels installed, labeled, and wired up.