One note I will make about these Van's kits... These pre-punched parts are awesome! Before attaching the top skins to the spar/rib assembly I put a digital level on each end of the spar to measure for twist and found that there was as much as 1 degree of twist. That concerned me so I clamped the spar down to the bench with the appropriate support so that it was perfectly strait before I started fastening the skins to the assembly. After completing the process I measured the twist again without the clamps in place and there was no twist! Now I have to make sure I keep it that way as I rivet the top skins in place.
|Right wing ready to start loading rivets.|
|All rivets loaded and taped...except for the holes with cleco's of course.|
|Wing skins riveted on with the exception of the inner most row where all the nut-plates are. I finished that up after the picture.|
|Outboard aileron hinge is the last step in this section and its done!|
|I need a place to store the wings now that they are coming together. This cart will allow me to store them both in the garage here and in the hangar when I am done with them. As you can see the garage workshop is rapidly running out of room!|