One of my biggest concerns about flying this airplane for the first time is the engine cylinder head temperatures. Traditionally the first hours of an engines life are hot as the rings seat themselves. On the 9A I had piston oil squirters that helped keep the cylinder head temps down, but this engine does not have this option. My only option is to make sure I am making the best of the cooling that is available. That brings me to my last several weeks of work. Cooling mods. I used the baffle kit that comes from Van's and its a huge help, but its designed for a slightly different engine, and even the inter-cylinder baffles that come with the engine fit very poorly. Below are some of the steps I have taken to try to keep the air moving through the cooling fins on the cylinders and keep the cooling drag to a minimum.
|Up close view of the mounting platform as I was testing fit.
|Both flaps installed (no bolts) inside view.
|Both flaps installed outside view (looking up at the bottom of the scoop where it overhangs my workbench.
|I also formed the fiberglass duct around the top cowl inlet where the prop governor sits. Still some cleanup work to be done here.
|Oil door with hinge and latch cutouts complete. I did have to fill those two miss-drilled holes on the hinge location and then re-drill the hole. It took quite a bit of time to get this door to fit the opening properly.
|An outside view of the door after I had faired in the opening a bit. I am going to have to to a little more sanding as there isn't enough edge distance to allow for paint.
|Same as above but a view looking up at the bottom of the cylinders. The Inter-cylinder baffles are not installed in this picture.
|Aft side of #5 cylinder.