The heavy wing is much better now. I re-rigged the ailerons and flaps and that helped a lot. Still wants to bank to the left but for now I have a small aileron tab that I am using to balance things out for the rest of the testing. Speaking of testing, today I loaded 180 pounds of cement into the passenger seat to test the stability with weight. I can't see much of a difference except in landing...wow, that extra weight really makes a difference in the sink rate.
I have been working on the priming of the wheel pants and gear leg fairing since they need to go on next. I am hoping that with these installed the airplane will be able to reach full speed and engine RPM. Right now it seems I am only able to get about 85% power at 2500 RPM. It should go to 2700 RPM.
One more issue that I am pretty sure I am dealing with is an induction leak. The engine does not like to idle below about 900 RPM. It should idle nicely much lower than that which from all the research I have been doing tells me I have an induction leak. I used red RTV to seal the induction tube sleeve's this morning but that didn't help so I have a set of gaskets on order from Aircraft Spruce so that I can replace the induction tube to cylinder gaskets.
And just to make this post complete here are a couple of pictures I took while zipping around the Puget Sound.
|This is a picture of the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard. Who knows, the last two submarines I was on may still be there!|
|This very picturesque photo was taken when I decided to pop up above the broken cloud layer at 10,500 ft.|