Friday, September 11, 2015

Slowly making a start

I can tell already that this build will take me much longer than the 9 did.  Here it is about a week into the build and I still don't have the first piece complete.  :-)  That's ok, I have lots of things competing with the 10 for my time.  For example, I was offered and accepted a new position here in Seattle.  I still can't discuss the company but the process has taken a big chunk of my free time.  Obviously flying has taken a chunk as well, darn that...  ;-)

Speaking of tasks, I got my DRDT2 dimpling tool today.  Took a little time to get it set up and I still need to build the supports for it but I'm excited to give it a try.  You will see some pictures of it coming up in the next week or so.

That all said here is what I managed to get done so far....

This is the aft spar for the vertical stabilizer.  The RV-10 plans have you starting with the VS instead of the HS.  You can see in this picture the doubler and some countersinking that I completed.

This would be the forward side of the same spar.

The "skeleton" of the VS cleco'd together for final drilling.

And finally here it is all cleco'd together and final drilled.  Next up, some deburring, dimpling, priming and then finally assembly.