Monday, December 14, 2015

Some progress

Another long hiatus from posting but I think I am slowly getting back into the build again.  I've spent a few days this past week working on the rudder of the 10 and I have a picture of two below to show the progress but I think more importantly you have to see what has been taking up all my garage time.

One of the downfalls of building an airplane in your garage is the dust and aluminum shavings that seem to get on everything.  Well for the 10 I decided to limit that as much as possible so I have partitioned off the smaller bay of the garage with a temporary insulated wall.  On that wall I have built a small "paint station" that I can use to spray primer on the parts that need it.  The neat part of the new paint station is that I have added a ducted fan to the base of it and am venting the exhaust outside.  Hopefully this will keep the overspray dust down a bit better than what I did with the 9.

Anyway, on with some pictures...

This is the new temporary wall from the larger part of the garage.
This little hole in the wall is where the ducted fan exhaust goes through the new temporary wall.  I took this picture before I actually built the rest of the paint station.

My little vent elbow that I will use to duct the overspray vent outdoors.

A little hard to see in this picture but this is my new priming station.  I have the plans sitting on the screen top in this picture and I have not put up the sloping lower front panel but the entire top part can be collapsed against the wall if I need the extra space in the room.

A look from the garage door end of the room.  You can see the door to the new work space here.  

another shot of the temporary wall and you can see the paint station in the back corner of the room.

The rudder just after I finished final drilling all the necessary holes.  I had started to remove the cleco's and realized I haven't been taking may pictures so I stopped to "capture the moment"
After final drilling of the rudder it was time to disassemble and debur.
Countersinking the AEX wedge that connects the two trailing edges of the rudder.  I'm using my drill press to make sure the countersinks are perpendicular.

Here you can see my "jig" that I created to ensure the wedge was held at the correct angle while I did the countersinking.

Another view of the widge jig.  The holes are there to give the countersink bit guide pin a place to go below the wedge during the countersinking process.

Back to the DRDT2 dimpling tool.  Here I'm dimpling the rudder skins.  This tool is so much faster and easier than the way I did it on the 9 not to mention the dimples are higher quality and more consistent.  Well worth the money I paid for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment