Sunday, October 1, 2017

Finally I got the right propeller

This week I finally got the correct propeller from Whirlwind.  I was very nervous that something else would go wrong since its been such an uphill battle with the front office at Whirlwind.  Not much has gone right in dealing with Whirlwind but I did finally get my propeller and it is beautiful.  Whirlwind was kind enough to paint my spinner as consolation gift for all of the errors that I have had to deal with over the past six months.  Starting with missed shipping dates (or incorrectly relayed to me), shipping the wrong prop, giving me a temporary prop to use while mine is being shipped, more missed shipping dates, and finally silence when I expressed my concern.  I had planned to buy a Whirlwind prop for the RV-10 but now I'm not so sure.  If I do it will be purchased WELL in advance of when I need it so they have lots of time to get me the correct prop.

Anyway, the new prop is installed and tested.  It works very well and maybe its just wishful thinking but if feels smoother than the demo prop I have been flying the past few months.  I flew it for about 40 minutes yesterday and was very happy with it.  No leaks of grease and no blade flex at all.


On the RV-10 I have made some progress this week as well.  I've finally finished up the elevators and trim tabs.  Next I'm off to the tail cone.  I contemplated waiting on the tail-cone because of the size of it but in the end I think I will just hang the completed tail-cone from the ceiling in the hangar when its done.  Maybe I can arrange it to look like an airplane crashed into the side of the hangar.  :-)

Leading edges of the right elevator completed.

Trim tab control cable mount riveted to the bottom of the access plate.

Access Plate sitting in the final install location

Elevator counterbalance inboard weight bolted in.

Outboard counterbalance weight bolted in.  If you look closely you will see some red liquid on the bolt threads...I used Loctite to make sure these nuts can't back out.  Just added insurance since these nuts are not accessible without drilling out the rivets and removing the fairings.
Finished Elevators with trim tabs attached.

The only thing I missed in this picture was the safety wire on the trim tab hinge pins.  That is now installed as well.

First step in working on the tail cone is to make this piece and tap the hole 3/8" threads.  This is where the tail tie down bolt will screw in.


No comments:

Post a Comment