Ok, so its been a couple days since I posted mainly because not much has happened with the airplane. The last day or two I have been working on a practice kit that a fellow RV-9A builder gave me (thanks Mike!) so that I could get a little rivet practice before I tried to set my first rivet when it counts. I will say that the bucking bar is going to be my nemesis I could do nice rivets with the squeezer of course, and doing a back rivet was easy, but when it came to the bucking bar I didn't do so good. I did quite a few and by the time I was done I was doing acceptable rivets but nothing I would sign my name to.
That said, tonight I finally went back to the plane and started putting things together with rivets. Yes, I set my first rivet tonight! And it looked pretty good! Ok, so I used the pneumatic squeezer but it still is very exciting to finally be putting things together. Here are the results.
|There it is, my first rivet!|
|and here is the top|
|Here is the job almost completed.|